Hundreds walk in Kandahar to challenge Taliban removals

Hundreds of protesters from an area populated by former Afghan army servicemen walked in Kandahar Tuesday against plans by the Taliban to expel them from their homes.

Residents of Zara Ferqa, a suburb made up of government lodging and ramshackle cottages, said they had been ordered to leave by the Taliban, however had nowhere else to go.

One resident said they were told to abandon their homes and offer them to Taliban contenders.

Local people say more than 10,000 individuals live in the area – many of them widows or spouses of servicemen killed or wounded in real life against the Taliban in the beyond 20 years.

The group – for the most part made up of men and youths, alongside some women, many burqa-clad – took to the streets despite the Taliban having restricted unauthorized fights subsequent to taking force on August 15.

Some reporters covering Tuesday’s walk said they were badgering and beaten by Taliban monitors along the route.

Kandahar is Afghanistan’s second-greatest city, just as the origin of the Taliban movement and its otherworldly heartland.

In response to the dissent, Kandahar’s lead representative has briefly remained any removal until the matter can be talked about with community elders.

A statement noticed that not all the lodging was official government quarters, and some residences had been worked by people.

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

World News Today will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.